Thursday, August 11, 2011

Getting Out the Door for School

How am I going to get the kids out the door in time for school? I find the act of getting their gear and outer wear on them or attached to them, very stressful. I find that I spend a lot of time reminding each child what they need to bring. I worry that I will forget something important and that I will either have to go back and get it for them or have them suffer without it.
Even if they are not resisting and trying to be independent, they can only remember so much. I feel like I really am saying things 'a thousand times', telling each triplet the exact same thing gets tiring after awhile.
I would use a list, but they can't read yet.
I wanted a visual list of the outer wear they need for the day and the gear they need.
Because the kids will need different things on different days, I wanted a list for each child, preferably a small list.
Solution: A door hanger with photos or pictures of outerwear and gear needed for the day.

I took pictures of my kids' stuff and clipped it to the door hanger. For school gear, I added labels; because my kids are in french immersion, I also included french labels. One could get them laminated so they look really pretty, but I have 4 to do, so I just used clear packing tape. I made up some pictures for rainy, hot and cool days and will make some pictures for snow days complete with hat and mittens. When I am not using the pictures, I can just keep them clipped to the back of the door hanger.
I will keep the door hangers on each child's coat hook so they can see them easily. You can customize them so that they have pictures of their own coat colour.
I made up pictures for days at the beach, trips to the park and library.
When they get older, you can put funny comics, inspirational photos or sayings. You could even use it for you teenager, clipping the new bus pass or lunch money to the hanger.
Hope this helps you get the gang to school on time and that your kids develop a 'pleasure' in being organized and prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment